Monday, May 09, 2005

Nineteen Weeks!

This week of pregnancy, your baby is about 5 ½- 6 inches in length and weighs 7-8 ounces. Your baby is swallowing amniotic fluid and her kidneys are making urine.

She is very active and energetic. She goes through the motions of crying, and is equipped with a complete set of vocal cords, but without air, cannot make a sound.

Vernix is forming at this point. This is a creamy-looking substance that covers the baby’s skin in order to protect it and it’s developing glands and sensory cells. The vernix is composed of dead skin, oil and lanugo.

This week, permanent teeth buds are forming behind the milk teeth buds.

Organs of reproduction are developing rapidly, getting ready to sustain future generations. The uterus is clearly visible in the female and the testes are apparent in the male fetus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, if you want, I can tell you all about how the beans are making urine. Hah! I just finished that unit and it is fresh in my mind. I know! It IS interesting. Just ask...

In all seriousness, I can't wait to meet them. You sounded SO HAPPY when I spoke to you Friday. So peaceful, so serene. I guess those are the same things. But still. I heart how happy you are! I love those beans already! Come OUT, come OUT!!! Aunt Stacy wants to spoil you!