Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Once a bean, always a bean.

So, now that we know who they are, we have begun calling them by their soon-to-be given names. Maggie and Audrey. We’ve always had Maggie, or at least I did, since I was a teen.

Maggie will be named after my paternal grandmother, a saint on earth in my book. She was loving and flighty and silly and protective. She cooked a mean chicken and dumplings and I can still remember the way she looked when she giggled or absent-mindedly wiped the table with her hands as she talked. We originally had “Grace” as a middle name for Maggie, but it’s been changed to my maiden name. Not for “feminist” reasons or anything like that, but because I just love the name. It’s beautiful and suits Margaret well. My father and uncle have informed me that they will be calling my girl "Peggy", which is what Margaret Sr. was called by those who loved her. I don't mind, as long as she's Maggie to us.

Audrey wasn’t a relative (that we know of), but a name we fell in love with. Actually, J did first, and he wouldn’t budge on it. I was surprised that he liked it so much. Audrey means noble strength. Which is exactly how I already imagine her. While Maggie has been extroverted and makes herself known often, Audrey is more reserved, quiet, petite and dainty. She gently taps me while Maggie hauls off and whales on me on a daily basis. Audrey likes to sleep more and during our ultrasounds, we’ve often had to nudge her to wake her up to cooperate with us. I would be surprised if they don’t retain these personality traits after they are born.

Audrey’s middle name will be Adelaide. Adelaide was the name of J’s maternal grandmother. I was unfortunate to have never met her, but it seems that she meant as much to him and his family as my gram meant to us. I don’t think that it’s coincidence that she passed away around the same time that my gram did, after hearing how wonderful she was. I think God was calling his favorites back that year. He’s told me stories of spending the night at her house or going to the movies with her and I can tell she was an amazing woman to love him so much and leave such an impact on his life. He tells me she’d love me and I’m sure I’d love her too!

The sweetest thing happened while the ultrasound technician was attempting to get a profile photo of Maggie. Throughout the scan, Maggie was flipping around and pushing back at the tech, but Audrey was curled up into a little ball, apparently unbothered by all of the poking and prodding she was enduring. All of a sudden, when the tech was about to get the shot she wanted of Maggie, Audrey rolled over onto Maggie’s belly and rested on her sister! It was the most precious thing I’ve ever seen. Maggie, who is 9.5 ounces, was finally able to get a profile shot, but Audrey, who is 9.4 ounces, wasn’t as cooperative, as she was still curled a little in the fetal position.

I imagine that I’ll still call them my beans even when they are grown up and out of the house. I imagine a lot of things about these two and hope they’re ready for us. We are a little more than nervous about the prospect of having them here and being good enough for them, but we couldn’t be happier or more excited to finally meet them.


And with that, Maggie just gave me a solid shove. Girls!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

J!!!! This is the most beautiful and touching tribute I have ever read. I can only hope that the Beans - I'm sorry, Maggie and Audrey - will someday see this. Not only will they know a bit about their namesake, but they'll know a little bit about who they were before they were, and a little more about their mom. Oh my gosh. I have tears in my eyes. This is wonderful!!!!!